Sunday, July 6, 2014

ON THE PATH TO CIVIL WAR

The other day I was running errands in my car when I pulled up behind a guy with a bumper sticker on his car that read:

“IMAGINE A WORLD WITH NO LIBERALS ☺”

What drives such hatred? Is it really just ignorance, or a sign of the growing animosity that has poisoned political discourse to the point where another bloody civil war is inevitable?

I wonder how that guy would react to a bumper sticker with this message:

“THE ONLY GOOD CONSERVATIVE IS A DEAD ONE”

You could replace “conservative” with “republican” and make the same point, except that liberals don’t generally resort to the kind of mean-spirited hatred that ultra right-wing conservatives and republicans have adopted as their rallying cry.

A lot of people brush-off the suggestion that another civil war is coming, but I’m starting to think that there are a lot of conservatives and republicans in this country with itchy trigger fingers on their weapons, and after the first shots are fired, there will be a lot of dead liberals bloodying the streets.

I hope civil war doesn’t come, but I wouldn’t bet it won’t.


No comments:

Post a Comment