Tuesday, October 5, 2010

HONEY, I WAS JUST ON A MISSION FOR MOSAAD

If a cartoonist was drawing this story, the cartoon would depict a woman in bed with a man, not her husband, and the illicit couple would appear surprised by the husband as he opened the bedroom door and caught his cheating wife. The cartoon's caption would read: "Honey, I was just on a mission for Mosaad."

Mosaad is Israel's intelligence agency, the equivalent of America's C.I.A.

Recently, one of Israel's leading rabbis, Ari Schvat issued a decree of sorts that legitimized the practice of female Mosaad agents, even married ones, engaging in illicit sex with enemies of Israel, if the sex was part of a mission meant to protect Israel's national security. The Rabbi's edict suggested that married women get a divorce before their mission and then remarry after the mission is completed, but that just seems like they're splitting hairs if you ask me. Once more, there weren't similar rules issued for married male agents. I guess in Israel that just goes with the territory.

Sleeping with the enemy is certainly not something new in the espionage game, but the Rabbi's pronouncement underscores how willing nations and people are to sacrifice their morals and values in the name of maintaining public safety or advancing a nationalistic goal. Islamic extremists frequently break their own religious rules during terrorist missions to allow them to carry out their jihad. Here in America, our own government acknowledged torturing terrorist prisoners to acquire information.

Given that, in the world of espionage, the ends apparently do justify the means, I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the Rabbi's public edict. I wonder if husbands in Israel feel the same way as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment