Monday, January 28, 2013

INVESTING IN FIREARMS *

I normally don't give out unsolicited investment advice, mostly because the last time I did so the stock I suggested tanked shortly thereafter. Yeah, that was embarrassing, but thankfully none of my friends took my advice, so the only one I know who lost any money was me. Since then, I've been pretty good at keeping my mouth shut when it comes to doling out financial advice…until now!

Here's my latest investing tip: Invest in gun manufacturers and sporting goods companies that sell guns.

Now, I make no secret about being a staunch supporter of gun regulations, and I realize that my investment advice runs counter to my gun control beliefs, but investment advice is all about making money and right now there's plenty of money to be made with guns. Take Olin Corporation, for example. Olin Corp. is the parent company of Winchester Rifle. Since the tanking of the U.S. economy in 2008, Olin Corp. stock has slowly notched its way upward, while many other corporate stocks took a dive and stayed in the basement. Olin's most recent dividend paid a yield of 3.4%, not bad when you consider that most bank CD rates are at 1% or less. Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation stock did even better. When the market tanked in late 2008, its stock dove to under $2 dollars per share. Now, it's above nine dollars per share, a 400% increase over four years. What gives?

Well, despite the gripes and groans denouncing gun control efforts that gun manufacturers put out in the media on a daily basis, liberals talking about guns and mass killings involving guns are good for business; the gun business, that is. Sales of firearms spike whenever a liberal in power mentions firearms, or some wing-nut with a weapon mows down a bunch of innocent people. I know. It doesn't make sense. Firearms are the only product on the market where word that the product killed a bunch of people actually increases the product's sales volume.

That's why, given the prevalence of gun violence in America, it's probably a safe bet to invest in guns.

* Disclaimer: I'm not really advocating investing in guns. At least I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment