Sunday, February 19, 2012

CASTING STONES IN GLASS HOUSES

Years ago, two of my children and I were walking in a local mall when we ran into one of my former high school teachers. I introduced my children to her, and she spent several minutes chatting with each of them about their school classes and various extra-curricular activities. As our conversation wound down and we were about to head off in different directions, my teacher nodded her head toward me and said to my daughter, "He's a good guy."

As I reflect back upon that incident, I wonder how my daughter would have felt if, instead of uttering a word of praise, the woman had told my daughter that her daddy was a no-good, godless bastard who looked down on crippled folks, and was responsible for leading America to ruin.

I bring up that incident because we're currently mired in the ugliest of all political seasons – a presidential election year, and because the probable candidates have children that they're still rearing. President Obama and his wife, Michelle, are the proud parents of two children; Malia, age 13 and Natasha, age 11. Their daughters have been raised in the Christian Faith, nurtured and educated in loving surroundings, and by all accounts, are two bright, well-adjusted and intelligent young ladies who any parent would be proud to call their own.

But you and I read the papers. We know that not a week goes by without two or three letters to the editor and several syndicated columnists suggesting that Obama is a no-good, godless bastard who looks down on crippled folks, and is responsible for leading America to ruin. The G.O.P.'s current favorite son, Rick Santorum spewed out that drivel just last week, and I have to say that such rhetoric sickens me.

I have no doubt that Rick Santorum deeply cares for his wife and children. I have no doubt he loves God. I have no doubt that he loves his country and has a sincere desire for Americans to prosper. I don't share many of his political beliefs. I think some of his views are unwise, unfounded and would result in needless pain and suffering. I believe some of the policies he advocates are downright cruel, some even dangerous, but none of those political differences would cause me to debase Rick Santorum in the eyes of his children in the same way Santorum's words debased President Obama in the eyes of his two girls.

Santorum is famous for denouncing his political opponents as being "anti-family", but a guy who would lie to daughters about their daddy really shouldn't be throwing stones in a glass house.

No comments:

Post a Comment